History, Purpose and Mission
- In 1888 a club was formed in Tacoma for men who rode the “Big Wheel” bicycle. This club was in existence for many years.
- In l974, a group of local cycle enthusiasts formed a new bicycle club using the name of the earlier club--thus the word "Wheelmen" in our Club name.
- The word "Bicycle" was added to our name in l99? to help explain the kind of club we are. A vote of the membership in 2009 decided to keep “Wheelmen” in the Club name.
We are a 501C3 non-profit organization. Our purpose is
- Promote bicycling for recreation, health and transportation.
- Organize social and bicycle activities.
- Work with other clubs and organizations to promote bicycling.
- Inform and educate members and the public regarding bicycle issues and safety.
Our mission is provide “Cycling for Fun, Fitness and Livable Communities."